Public Service Announcement: Regulator issues urgent warning over defective hearing aid batteries
People who have bought ZeniPower mercury-free hearing aid batteries to check the best before date on the packs due to two defective batches.
The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) is asking people who have bought ZeniPower mercury-free hearing aid batteries to check the best before date on the packs.
Due to a manufacturing fault, there is a low risk of the batteries exploding during use or if depleted.
This is a precautionary measure as no adverse incidents that resulted in an injury have been reported to MHRA through our safety monitoring system, the Yellow Card Scheme.
The affected batteries have best before dates of 08.2018 and 09.2018. All other batches ZeniPower mercury-free hearing aid batteries are not affected. If in doubt, do not use the batteries.
Pharmacists or retailers which have affected stock on their shelves should remove them immediately and return any remaining stock to their original supplier.
John Wilkinson, MHRA’s Director of Medical Devices said:
While the risk is very low, it is important people check if their hearing aid batteries are affected and if they are in doubt do not use the battery.
Patient safety is of paramount importance and continually monitored. Our priority is to ensure appropriate action is taken to ensure public safety.
We continue to encourage people to report any issues involving medical devices to the MHRA via our Yellow Card Scheme.
- The Technology Helping to Keep Roads Safer - July 30, 2018
- APSCo responds to Office of Tax Simplification recommendations for the gig economy - July 25, 2018
- Mind the skills-gap after Artificial Intelligence - July 23, 2018
- Lift off for electric planes – new funding for green revolution in UK civil aerospace - July 20, 2018
- Data reveals scale of contractor demand in Spain following economic expansion - July 18, 2018
- PM hails biggest Naval defence contract for a decade - July 2, 2018
- Major new funding to attract world’s best in science and innovation - June 25, 2018
- Green light for ultra-fast electric car charging innovation - June 22, 2018
- Software Intelligence Report: Legacy and Agile Threaten Digital Transformation Success - June 21, 2018
- Multi-million pound investment for the latest aerospace manufacturing and engine technology - May 23, 2018